White Domination? No. Black Damnation.

So I’m going to bring up a totally different point, but its really important to me so I rather post about this instead…

The first instance that we get where a character isn’t really conscious of his actions is when Mr. Trueblood impregnates his own daughter. He basically goes on a whole ten page rant explaining that he really didn’t mean to, but what’s done was done. Trueblood reiterates the point that the black people in the community look down upon him, but the white people don’t. On the contrary actually, they reward him. Trueblood lives on the outskirts of the college campus and is basically shunned by his community for committing the crime of incest.

Now,

(Just give me a second here so you can follow my thought process)…

this book starts off with a young black boy about to give a speech, but first has to enter this ring of fighting other black for the entertainment of whites…cool, I mean not cool, but nothing new there. Then after he’s been punched until he literally can’t see he has the chance to give his speech and ends up getting admitted to this college. Now we see him driving around this extremely wealthy white guy who contributes a crap ton of money to the university. Then they go visit this guy named “Trueblood.” We clearly know that he’s uneducated by the way the speech changes when his character speaks. From his explanation of the incident in which he got his daughter pregnant we clearly see that the incest wasn’t intentionally done. The part that bothers me is why the white community rewards him for his discrepancies meanwhile the black community completely ostracizes him. This just feeds into white domination. It’s literally so disgusting to me to think that the reason they give this man money and tobacco to keep him in the same never ending cycle. Furthermore, the fact that he was looked down by his fellow black counterparts says a lot about the black community. They were not willing to accept that type of behavior because they wanted to remove themselves from stereotypical black behavior….

2 Comments so far

1.   Michelle Coleman on September 28th, 2016

Interesting post! I also thought it was really strange that the white people were not only condoning Trueblood’s actions but rewarding him for what he had done! If I read correctly, I think Trueblood’s reasoning behind the incest was that he was too tired to notice? I’m not sure if I’m right about that, but I know it wasn’t a good enough– as if there would be a good reason to commit incest. I didn’t think about it, but I totally agree with you that the white people were probably rewarding him to have him continue with his lifestyle (although it could be argued that he could have become educated and risen in society with the rewards). At the same time, the black community ostracized Trueblood to try to not be associated with him in an attempt to not be generalized as a group of people like him. I’m curious as to why Mr. Norton was so curious about that section of campus, but it could just be because associating with that population was taboo and “exciting.” It’s not clear, but do you think it was a good thing or a bad thing that the black community excommunicated Trueblood? On one hand, excommunicating Trueblood separates him from the community and keeps him from further ruining their reputation, but also ostracizing Trueblood prevents him from making any changes because he is alone.

2.   Kelly Santana on September 28th, 2016

I really found your last sentence interesting and it made me think- the black community did want to separate themselves from this man and his family because they didn’t want to be placed in the same category as them. They didn’t want to be stereotyped with them. And on some level, I think the narrator didn’t want to be apart of that world either. He was impatient to leave with Mr. Norton because he didn’t want him to hear about this scandal and what Trueblood had to say. Was this because he didn’t want Mr. Norton to get this generalized idea about the black community? Maybe he was both naive and aware of the stereotype of his people. I’m just spit-balling here, but either way, I enjoyed your post! Thanks for sharing!